Instagram – https://instagram.com/universetoday, Team: Fraser Cain – @fcain / [email protected] Then the freshwater and saline water take 3.5 percentage both. The earth boasts of some of the largest water bodies including the oceans, lakes, and rivers that stretch across approximately two-thirds of its surface. That leaves us with 0.4% of the earth’s water, in the form of rivers and underground aquifers, to try to utilize for our consumption and societal development. I agree with Manu. In icecaps, icebergs, we can see the fresh waters. To break the numbers … It should say ” … upon refection of the sky (or atmosphere)”. No! And More…, Episode 694: Interview: Fred Watson, Australia's Astronomer at Large, Episode 693: Open Space 92: Why I Hate Embargoed News Stories, and More…, Episode 692: Open Space 91: Any Updates on Venus? As a result, the water gets polluted. The quantity of the freshwater is very low on the earth as the big part ocean carries the saltwater. We should use water wisely because in many places the demand for water is very high. In simplest terms, water makes up about 71% of the Earth’s surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there are over 332,519,000 cubic miles of water on the planet. If someone lives near about the riverside areas, he or she should plant the trees so that the chemicals can not go easily to the river when it rains. People must keep aware of the scarcity of water as we all know that water is life.Water On Earth In Percentage, Also, Check Environmental Pollution | Types, And Causes Of Pollution. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. About 75% of the earth is covered in water. People should keep water neat and clean. And here’s a link to NASA’s Earth Observatory. The Guide to Space is a series of space and astronomy poddcasts by Fraser Cain, publisher of Universe Today, Episode 700: Interview: Wallace Arthur and the Biological Universe. What percent of the earth"s surface is covered by water? 3% is freshwater. The density of the water depends upon the salinity of the water as the density of the water increase with the increase of the salinity. To break the numbers down, 96.5% of all the Earth’s water is contained within the oceans as salt water, while the remaining 3.5% is freshwater lakes and frozen water locked up in glaciers and the polar ice caps. Episode 363: Where Did Earth’s Water Come From? Salinity. People should use liquids or the materials which are healthy for the environment. Twitch: https://twitch.tv/fcain If you could melt all that ice, and the Earth’s surface was perfectly smooth, the sea levels would rise to an altitude of 2.7 km. This is just 1/4400 the total mass of the Earth, which means that while the oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface, they only account for 0.02% of our planet’s total mass. Here’s How Many Oceans are there in the World?, Earth Has Less Water Than You Think, Where Did Earth’s Water Come From?, Why Doesn’t Earth Have More Water?, Rethinking the Source of Earth’s Water. The measure of the amount of dissolved salts in sea water is called _____ ? In the earth, the water covers about 71% where saltwater consumes 96.5%( ocean) and the freshwater consumes 3.5%(ice caps and glaciers). A cubic mile is the volume of a cube measuring one mile on each side. For mining processes ( 5%)and industrial training (53%), people use the saltwater. Listen here, Episode 51: Earth and Episode 363: Where Did Earth’s Water Come From? Percentage Of Water On Earth, Fresh Water, Salt Water, Water On Earth, Pollution Effects On Water, Water Pollution, Scarcity Of Water, Causes Of Water Scarcity, Save Water. To break the numbers … In public places, they need to use it. The scarcity of water is seen in many places. Percentage Of Water On Earth In the earth, the water covers about 71% where saltwater consumes 96.5% (ocean) and the freshwater consumes 3.5% (ice caps and glaciers). If you were to gather all the Earth’s fresh water together as a single mass (as shown in the image above) it is estimated that it would measure some 1,386 million cubic kilometers (km3) in volume. A tiny fraction of water exists as water vapor in our atmosphere. This is due to the prevalence of water on the planet’s surface. “While water itself is not blue, water gives off blue light upon reflection.” But in the riverside areas, the. According to this new study, the world’s oceans also date back 4.6 billion years, when all the worlds of the inner Solar System were still forming. In this again lakes contain 20.9% and ground ice and permafrost contain 69%. The origin of water on the Earth’s surface, as well as the fact that it has more water than any other rocky planet in the Solar System, are two of long-standing mysteries concerning our planet. Over 68 percent of the fresh water on Earth is found in icecaps and glaciers, and just over 30 percent is found in ground water. Most water in Earth's atmosphere and crust comes from the World Ocean's saline seawater, while fresh water accounts for nearly 1% of the total. The oceans and the seas account for 97%. The diversity of the environment also changes the demand for water. The freshwater groundwater takes about 30.1% and ice caps, glaciers take 68.7%. And More…, Episode 698: Open Space 95: Would SpaceX Have Survived without NASA? The second is the more specific 71% of Earth is water while 29… They have to clean the beaches and the sides of the river. More stories at: https://www.universetoday.com/ https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/biological-universe/4599E17C7FAAECE4A87038C62039C755, Our Book is out! Percentage Of Water On Earth | Pollution Effects | Scarcity |... Technology Advantages & Disadvantage | Human | Environment | earth-24.com. Don’t throw the chemicals, medicines anywhere. Carbonaceous chondrite, the oldest meteorites that have been dated to the very earliest days of the Solar System, were found to have the same chemistry as those originating from protoplanets like Vesta. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), NASA’s Solar System Exploration Guide on Earth. A. An estimated 1.5 to 11 times the amount of water in the oceans may be found hundreds of kilometers deep within the Earth's interior, although not in liquid form. Meanwhile, the amount of water that exists as groundwater, rivers, lakes, and streams would constitute just over 10.6 million km3, which works out to a little over 0.7%. The Earth is often compared to a majestic blue marble, especially by those privileged few who have gazed upon it from orbit. https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Today-Ultimate-Viewing-Cosmos/dp/1624145442/, Audio Podcast version: According to this theory, water was brought to the world’s oceans thanks to icy comets, trans-Neptunian objects or water-rich meteoroids (protoplanets) from the outer reaches of the main asteroid belt colliding with the Earth. Aside from the water that exists in ice form, there is also the staggering amount of water that exists beneath the Earth’s surface. Percentage Of Water On Earth | Pollution Effects | Scarcity | earth-24.com, Contact Earth-24 Today- Best Educational Websites, Environmental Pollution | Types, And Causes Of Pollution, Percentage Of Water On Earth | Fresh & Salty, effect on the life of the people and the environment, World GDP Trade War & Lockdown | Labor | Unemployment | earth-24.com. Of all the water on Earth, more than 99 percent of Earth's water is unusable by humans and many other living things! 96.5% of all the Earth’s water is contained within the oceans as salt water, while the remaining 3.5% is freshwater lakes and frozen water locked up in glaciers and the polar ice caps. I’m curious, how did you come to the ice melt coming to a 2.7 km sea level rise (over a smooth earth) figure? In some industrial areas, when the population becomes larger, people need more resources of fresh water so that the demand for water can be balanced. The natural resources like waterfalls, rain, the waters coming from the hills contain freshwaters. People should use the freshwater carefully and they should keep the water neat and clean. Sub-Saharan Africa has many nations that lack access to drinking water. Energy Types | Renewable Hydropower Nuclear & More How It Works? And More…, Episode 697: Interview: Theoretical Physicist Dr. Peter Woit, Episode 696: Open Space 94: Is It Realistic to Declare a "Free Mars"? But how much of our planet is made up of water, exactly? Approximately 71% of the earth's surface is covered by water. Like most facts pertaining to our world, the answer is a little more complicated than you might think, and takes into account a number of different qualifications. In the earth when the water takes the seventy-one percentage, the salty water already takes 96.5%. RSS: https://www.universetoday.com/audio, What Fraser's Watching Playlist: